Part of Alpine County (population 1,100), Indian Creek Reservoir has some short hiking trails. On this Sunday, a short afternoon jaunt up to Summit lakes was in the works for us…
Part of Carson Valley Trails, the Sierra Canyon and Genoa Loop trails is a 7ish mile loop that starts in the town of Genoa. With most of our favorite Tahoe trails still covered in snow, this was a great Sunday hike. The highlight of the trail is the halfway mark: Genoa Falls.
It’s a 2 hours and 20 minuets drive down to Mono Lake from South Lake Tahoe, California. While scenice drive with vistas of the snow-capped landscapes of the Sierras, we also seized the opportunity to top off the tank in the State of Nevada, where gas is much cheaper.
- 09:45am - Arrive at Lee’s Ferry and pay for the permit
- 10:02am - Reach the parking lot
- 10:06am - Look at the historic houses and boat wreckage
- 10:15am - Start to hike Spencer Trail
- 11:45pm - Summit and hang out
- 01:12am - Start to hike back
- 02:24pm - Back to the trailhead
- 02:57pm - Start to hike Lower Cathedral Wash
- 03:56pm - Reach the back of Colorado river
- 04:10pm - Start to hike backs
- 04:52pm - Back to the parking
- 09:45am - Start out from Wire Pass Trailhead
- 10:35am - Reach the junction with the Buckskin Gulch trail
- 12:06am - First tricky part of the trail: a pile of huge rocks blocks the canyon but getting through is possible.
- 12:59pm - Snack time!
- 01:24pm - Start to hiking again
- 03:19am - Take an unusually long break (15~20 minutes) and exchange information with the only other hiker we met on the trail.
- 04:20pm - Back to the parking lot